From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:31:42 -0500
In a message dated 2/18/2004 4:07:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> So, I understand the poster is sincere, but maybe not realistic?  Or maybe
> just dealing with superb families, but in my years of work,
> I am hesitant to add
> pumping to the agenda unless I truly feel it is essential!

That was me and I believe I am realistic but I also think we're into a matter of semantics. And, keep in mind, this whole thing started with discussing "brief delays re: copious production." I hardly work with "ideal" families, but I am often in awe of their superbness. I'm not saying pumping isn't more challenging and I wouldn't suggest unless it seems essential for milk (re)moving, which is often with multiples due to complications for babies and mothers. I just find those who truly want to BF accept the challenge. I also find that poor info or misinterpreted info is often making the pumping harder than it has to be. That many find it is less hard once they develop a workable routine. And that many find it is no harder than using alternative devices at breast, some of which only work when baby/babies suckle effectively so pumping may be moot then anyway.

I've yet to meet the MOT/MOM who doesn't feel more compelled to continue to plug away (if one or more babies is BF less than effectively) when milk is moving well -- even if via a pump -- vs. spending lots of time with ineffective baby/babies at breast and noting less milk. But this refers to baby difficulties that prolong the need for pumping, which is different. I imagine we're mostly on the same page -- just with minor type variations...

Karen

www.karengromada.com/ (FAQ includes some info re: pumps with multiples)