From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 14:25:03 +0800
Moira McCaul wrote:
> Babe attaches well with shield in place, the woman's supply is
>good, but the babies weight gain has dropped off in the last few
>weeks. Baby doesn't seem to want to attach at all without the shield
>in place. (1) what are some good stategies to encourage the baby to
>attach well without the shield? (2) Is it inevidable that supply
>will drop if they continue to use the shield?

I wonder if the drop-off in weight gain may have nothing to do with
the shield. This baby obviously attaches well and has been draining
the breast efficiently up to a couple of weeks ago, *with* the
shield. Why would it reduce supply now? The problem of shields
reducing supply comes from their *incorrect* use, where the baby is
not properly attached and therefore not milking the breast
efficiently.

So I would answer, no, it is not inevitable that the supply will
drop. I would look carefully for other reasons for reduced weight
gain. Could it be the normal plateau often seen in weight gain in
breastfed babies at about 3-4 months (especially those who gained
quickly in the early weeks)? Has the output changed significantly? If
there are the same numbers of wet and dirty nappies, then it is
possibly not a supply issue at all (especially as you stated that the
supply is good). Is baby alert and acting normal and developing
normally? And is baby being fed 'on demand'? This plateau in
breastfed babies often freaks out both mothers and health
professionals who are using the standard growth charts made up of
predominently bottle-fed babies.

>The mother is somewhat depressed and is dispairing of this
>breastfeeding business ever going smoothly for them. Your thoughts
>would be greatly appreciated.

I can understand her wanting to get rid of the shield, even if it is
not compromising her supply - they are a pain when out and about and
at night, etc. Pat's suggestions of slipping it off mid-feed or when
baby is sleepy are good ones to try. I often suggest that they try to
attach baby without the shield every feed, but not to get into a
battle with baby. If it doesn't work within a couple of minutes, then
use the shield. Also, there are lots of stories around of babies
deciding one day they don't like the shield any more and ripping it
off themselves! Or mum goes out and forgets the shield, and baby
attaches like he's done it all along. Sometimes it just takes
patience and faith, plus lots of skin-to-skin contact and
*opportunity* to feed without the shield (without pressure on baby to
perform).