Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:33:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
As well as brainstorming the advantages to mother, baby, family I also get the class to 
start thinking about the effect it might have on them so we brainstorm their own comfort 
zones...will they be ok breastfeeding in front of their father in law, or their partners 15 
year old brother,  some don't have any problems, some do, but by bringing it up they can 
start to put strategies in place to help them.  We also look at places to feed on the same 
basis, they share info on good mother baby rooms, restaurants they have heard about, 
etc.

I then give out cards with "solutions " to various problems - most of the cards read
"contact a breastfeeding counsellor"  "Contact your antenatal teacher"  or "contact your 
GP or OB" or contact your local La Leche League group or Cuidiu - ICT support group"  -  I 
then call out various problems and ask them to give me solution - as they only have 
cards with above written on them they soon get the idea that they should not try to go it 
alone but should seek support and in working through various scenaris they begin to see 
that there might be medical issues or support issues and begin to identify which is which.

regards
Geraldine Cahill
Antenatal Teacher
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cuidiu- Irish Childbirth Trust
Cork
Ireland

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2