From:
Geraldine Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:33:16 -0500
As well as brainstorming the advantages to mother, baby, family I also get the class to
start thinking about the effect it might have on them so we brainstorm their own comfort
zones...will they be ok breastfeeding in front of their father in law, or their partners 15
year old brother,  some don't have any problems, some do, but by bringing it up they can
start to put strategies in place to help them.  We also look at places to feed on the same
basis, they share info on good mother baby rooms, restaurants they have heard about,
etc.

I then give out cards with "solutions " to various problems - most of the cards read
"contact a breastfeeding counsellor"  "Contact your antenatal teacher"  or "contact your
GP or OB" or contact your local La Leche League group or Cuidiu - ICT support group"  -  I
then call out various problems and ask them to give me solution - as they only have
cards with above written on them they soon get the idea that they should not try to go it
alone but should seek support and in working through various scenaris they begin to see
that there might be medical issues or support issues and begin to identify which is which.

regards
Geraldine Cahill
Antenatal Teacher
Breastfeeding Counsellor