Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:56:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I have been contacted by phone by a mom of a 1-month-old (born at 36weeks) baby boy. At about 2 weeks of age baby started having (as described by mom) large amounts of blood in stool with resulting numerous testing and quick referral to pediatric gastroenterologist. Baby was taken off breast milk immediately and given Alimentum while mom ‘cleaned out her diet’ as directed by gastroDr. This entailed mom being off milk for 3 days and then reintroducing breastfeeding. Within 24 hours of resuming breastfeeding, the blood in stool returned in large amount and mom was adamantly instructed to stop pumping and told he was highly allergic to her milk and he would never be able to take any of it. Mom was heart broken and stopped pumping for a day, but eventually this did not sound right to mom and she called me for the 1st time. After talking to me, she did return to pumping after 12 hours of not and has resumed her pumping schedule she had before. She’s now been pumping for 2 weeks and feeding Alimentum. But she desires to return to breastfeeding when (as she says) ‘it’s safe for him’. 
Mom is very educated, a premed student and has 2 other children she breastfed. One born 27 weeks and mom did extended milk expression successfully with her.
I had encouraged mom to either get a second opinion or reopen dialogue with the original gastroDr. I talked to mom yesterday and a week after their last visit, she phoned the gastroDr office and did re-talk to him. Mom was optimistically reserved about the phone call and reported to me, “He will be sending me information for a milk-free, soy-free diet to do for 3 days and has consented to allow me 1 more trial at breastfeeding”. 

This mom needs info and I’ve given her all I currently know. I’ve quickly sent her links to information on kellymom.com and LLLI. Additional information for mom herself and some she might share with the physician are welcomed!

Thank-you,
Rachel

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2