Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 18:02:13 +0100
Elisheva writes:

>  It is not inconsistent to tell some parents, on
>the one hand, that an occasional bottle is not the end of the world, and yet
>still to tell hospital nurses that there is NO reason for them EVER to
>suggest a bottle for the healthy term newborn of a healthy new mother.

 <snip>
>That way the message you give moms about bottles is:  You may need to make
>compromises in  your life for one reason or another, and that's OK, as long
>as you understand that they ARE compromises -- and I my job isn't to
>compromise too early, but rather to help as best I can to keep you out of
>trouble from any compromises that may be reasonable in your life.

Well put, Elisheva.

In fact, in the classes I do,  I give them the facts about introducing
bottles...and we talk round the topic, looking at why a mother might want
to do this, and the implications of  it, as you suggest.  I also tell them
what bf supporters observe often happens to the mother who gives the
'occasional' bottle because she thinks her baby 'needs' it...and what to do
*instead* of giving a bottle to ensure a good milk supply and happy,
effective feeding.  I sometimes put it this way - that a bottle can
sometimes appear to 'solve' a problem in the sghort-term but it may have
long-term consequences.  As long as you know this, then it is your
decision...and as long as it is your decision, then no one should argue
with you one way or the other.

They are going to meet bottles presented as a solution to every bf problem
under the sun - but they shouldn't encounter that attitude in the hospital.

In my view, health care providers who give poor bf information and advise
bottles inappropriately should be disciplined by their supervisers.  But
that would be regarded as heavy-handed....and in many places the
supervisers haven't got the first idea about good practice.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK