From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:58:48 -0400
... Ellen, she may have bacterial infection as well... If she has open spots
/wounds. I would suggest that Jack Newman MD's Candida protocol be used
here, along with some APNO, All Purpose Nipple ointment.  The baby obviously
needs more calories, and if one thing isn't working, I would suggest an
alternative, as you have suggested, ... The baby has gained so very
little.!~ : (  Are you sure there is nothing else going on health wise? How
much milk is the baby taking in a day?  How often is she pumping?  How much
breastmilk is she getting per day?  I am confused about why exactly the baby
is not gaining weight appropriately.

I have seen a baby with a small keyhole cleft...who could not effectively
breastfeed.... The baby had surgery... And the mom pumped effectively, and
did a lot of support for her supply, and after the surgery, the baby went to
breast beautifully.  But it was a rough start.

I would recommend getting calories into the baby, as this is of paramount
importance. Support for supply would be next... When is the corrective
surgery scheduled? Nystatin is not that effective, in my experience.

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant:
Lactation Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc. Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

Kathleen