From:
Cordelia Merritt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 21:09:08 -0700
In my experience, some babies will begin to smell if not bathed.  I
used to work in a single room maternity care unit.  One night while
checking a baby who had been under phototherapy I noted that he was a
bit smelly.  I asked the mother if he had had a bath and no, he
hadn't.  He was probably about 3 days old at that point.  I am sure
that being under the lights contributed to his smell.  I am all for
delaying bathing but eventually we all would like a bath.  I am also
quite happy sending babies home without a bath if the parents want
this, however, most parents would like have their babies bathed and
are quite anxious about bathing their child.  It also really nice to
have the parents do the bath with you there to provide guidance as
needed.

Cordelia