Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:36:43 -0500
 I saw Dr Hayes' presentation on the BF Campaign. I certainly understand the desire to interpret data in a positive way, but the stats are wholly unconvincing. For example, if memory serves (it was a couple of years ago), there was data that showed an increased awareness of bf'ing among men. I do not think one can attribute this to the campaign at all--I think it can be attributed to the media attention about the campaign's controversy in the types of media sources that men utilize, such as the Wall Street Journal. I think one would have to think hard about whether this could be called a success on the part of the campaign. One would have to evaluate the attitudes that men developed based upon this exposure, and considering that much of the media attention was negative, I don't think we can make any positive assumptions. Again, while I do not have the data in front of me, I remember at the time that I was surprised that any positive conclusions could be extrapolated from it, especially in light of the fact that bf'ing rates have dropped and duration is decreasing. I think it would have been much better to look at the data more honestly and recognize that the campaign failed b/c of the sabotage on the part of the AIM companies and their govt lackies.I think there is no benefit to breastfeeding to pretend there was success.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC