Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 23:22:51 EDT
I was on another list serve for NICU nursing since I wanted to be more aware
of NICU issues. I do LC work for our 12 bed NICU. When I posted to that list
regarding Breastfeeding the preemie and advocating strongly for these moms to
BF I was percieved by many on that list as pushy(probably as more than
pushy). I was basically talking about informed consent and educating
regarding the difference betwen breastmilk and ABM and then encouraging the
mom to at least commit to expresing EBM as a start even if she didn't think
she wanted to "breast" feed.
When the discussion got heated it took me by surprise at how I was looked
upon. It felt like the same feeling I get when I know I am not always a
welcome person in the NICU (depending on who is staff that day).
Interesting how the NICU staff many times feel like we are too pushy and the
majority of the mothers that I have worked with felt totally thankful for the
support.
Jane Ciaramella
No longer a participant on the NICU listserve-there is enough hostility in a
days work, without having to endure it on the web as well!