From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:37:37 +1000
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Kirsten Berggren wrote:
>....  a now-12-week old baby, ... We'll get a naked weight on baby tomorrow
>(which I only did at initial
visit, have not been tracking consistently) for baseline, and I'll observe a
feed, maybe do pre-and post-feed weights. What else do I need to be watching
for here? I'm consulting with my IBCLC coworkers on this, but none of us has
enough experience with transition from bottles back to breast to really know
what to watch for in terms of this baby getting enough. He's old enough that
he signals quite clearly when he's hungry. He routinely falls asleep at
breast, but it seems due to contentment rather than fatigue.

Karen,
You and the mother have done a wonderful job of restoring the milk supple
and getting the baby established at breast.  As regards your question, I'd
be inclined at this stage to use the usual indicators for a breastfed baby.
That's what he is.

Virginia

Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC,
whose experience with relactation goes back to 1965.