Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:30:53 +0200
Dear Rachel , I want to thank for your letter. We are truly shocked and
appalled by the loss of the babies lives and those poor babies who are still
hospitalized and those that will remain impaired for life. We ( IBCLCS ,
LLL's and Breastfeeding support people in Israel) spent a day or so
franticly e-mailing and phoning to find the best way to express our grief
and support breastfeeding.
One of the ways was to donate a day for free breastfeeding support by all
the lc's in Israel which turned out to be very busy. The LLL support line
has been deluged with phone calls. For the past two days there have been
newspots on both Radio and TV about breastfeeding. Our clinic in Udim - run
by Dr. Miri Leibovich was on TV news with Mira and Esther Grunis in starring
roles along with the moms and babes. Talk shows had interviews and hotlines
have been set up by most of the HMOs - unfortunately, most often, all the
helpers are referred to as Lactation Consultants.
The local TV had a vote whether it is better to bf or give formula. With all
my family phones the results were 90% in favor of breastfeeding. Have no
idea how many participated.
It is a pity it took a tragedy to get to this.
Let us hope that breastfeeding will be seen as honorable (as in bringing
honor to the woman) and so valuable that one must take urgent steps to
preserve it.
Valerie, Winnie and all others who cared - thanks so.
Very Sincerely, Toby Gish RN, LLL, IBCLC