From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2007 12:58:19 -0500
Is is not amazing when something unfolds exactly as you predict?

A good friend of mine has a daughter who works in a local hospital. This
facility is known for terrible (in my opinion) birth and breastfeeding
practices. When the daughter became pregnant, she decided to deliver at this
particular hospital. I suggested to him that his daughter find a different
facility, as her "ideal birth" was not supported in this hospital, but the
daughter has "absolute trust" in this facility.

Prophecy 1 - The baby will be induced early, and mom will have a cesarean.
Reality 1 - After a 38th week induction (because the baby was "too big") the
child was born by cesarean at 6 1/2 pounds. "It was necessary, because the
baby was doing badly during the induction, and they needed to save the
baby."

Prophecy 2 - The baby will spend hours in the nursery. Reality 2 - The baby
spent 3 hours in the nursery because "his temperature was low."

Prophecy 3 - The baby will spend at least 2 days under lights, due to fears
of jaundice. Reality 3 - Baby spent 3 days under lights because his bili
level peaked at 12 on the 2nd day, and was going down too slowly for the
doctor's comfort.

Prophecy 4 - Baby will be weaned by 4 months, because the mother will lose
her milk supply, due to "recommended supplementation by the lactation
consultants." This one I sort of blew. Baby was weaned at 2 months, because
"her milk supply went to nothing!" They started supplementing on the 3rd day
because of fears of jaundice, and kept up the supplementation because "she
never seemed to have enough milk to keep up with this big baby!" (all 6
pounds of him).

I realize my friend is the grandfather, and bless him, he is a wonderful man
who supports all of his children and their decisions. To him, things just
naturally happen. Babies need to come before they're too big, doctors know
best, milk suddenly dries up for no good reason. He's no different than
every other parent and grandparent, as far as understanding how the body
works.

I was hoping that this mother would see how she had been sabotaged, and it
would open her eyes to the state of this hospital (county hospital, had 2/3
of the deliveries in the area, most of the teen moms, and nearly all of the
low income moms). Instead, this new mother still has "absolute trust" in
this facility and her doctors.

And the parade marches on...

Best wishes,
Sam doak