From:
Sandy M Hankin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 08:49:55 -0600
When we lived in Michigan, my co-LLLL and I were on a local talk show
with the author of a best selling parenting book. We were on as
"parents", not as "experts". We were VERY careful prior to the show to be
sure that we weren't going to be there as freaks. We were assured by the
producer that there would be a "pro-breastfeeding slant". Well, live and
learn. Our worst fears were realized as this author proceeded to state
that "while many mothers continue to nurse into toddlerhood, babies
should be weaned no later than 12 months of age". In my stunned on the
air state, I said, "Because....." And she proceeded to expouse a bunch of
cr*p about "nipping and nursing" and dental caries. My co-Leader and I
were floored and challenged her on air, correcting her statements. She
then proceeded to state that the AAP recommends weaning by 12 months.
This show was filmed a short time before the AAP came out with their most
recent bfeeding position statement. Because of the nature of the show (it
was live), there was no room for editing. Still, she was seen as the
expert and we were given no credentials. After the show, we asked her if
she had read the Innocenti Declaration and she admitted that she had not
heard of it. A viewer of the show called the AAP and reported that this
author was representing that their recommendation was that babies should
be weaned by 12 months. The AAP rep with whom she spoke stated that this
author should NOT be representing the AAP as she is not a pediatrician or
a dr. for that matter. They apparently contacted her to reprimand her,
which was basically a slap on the wrist. Still, we were glad that some
action was taken. If you are dying to know who this best selling author
was (is), you can e-mail me privately ;-).

Sandy Hankin, IBCLC