Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:28:46 EST
Kathy Boggs writes:

<< I wonder why he thinks that families who chose
 bottle feeding will see the catchy formula banner on his web site and then
 read on and chose breastfeeding or even change their parenting style.  >>

Yes.  To elaborate on this a bit, he's suggesting that the advertising will
pull in the browsers, who will then notice and get hooked on the editorial
content.   But this is inconsistent with the idea that he needed the money,
because the REASON the advertisers are paying him is precisely that they do
not believe they BRING customers to him but rather that the GET customers
from him.   That is, families -- presumably including plenty of bottlefeeders
-- read his content, and THEN they see the ads and have formula promoted to
them.   By the time they see the ad they are already on his site.

This justification would make much more sense IMO if the ads were only on the
formula feeding page itself.   Then I still wouldn't like it -- I think it
would still violate the Code, though that is not such a big concern for me
personally -- but one could reasonably  say, OK, these are formula feeders,
and this is a service to them, supports the generics, supports DHA, whatever.
   But to put that banner on the home page, where plenty of bf'ers and
potential bfers are exposed to it, is much harder to explain away.

Elisheva Urbas, NYC