From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 08:45:21 -0800
Nancy, I'll *bet* you're scratching your head to read that Iraq
reports that "Iraq's infant mortality up 16% due to lack of
powdered milk". Cynical Israeli that I am, I'd like to share
this: The Koran strongly supports breastfeeding. According to my
son in Military Intelligence (no cracks, please, especially from
Jonathan K.!), the Shiites tend to be religious, and are 50% of
the population of Iraq. Therefore, I question how significant the
population of powdered milk users is. I should think that the
vast majority of Iraqis breastfeed for long durations. I doubt
that infant feeding method could account for a 16% rise in infant
mortality.
My feeling is that this is a play on sympathy to lift sanctions.
Ignore the press release. Just my opinion, of course. I'd be
interested to hear the opinion of any epidemiologists out there!
Ooops. Just reread this. If I've offended anyone, or posted
something that anyone feels is not a concern of this discussion
group, I am sorry.
Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva, Israel (and *proud* of her son and the
work he does, whatever it is [you think he tells me a word????]!)