From:
Sharon S Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:30:10 -0400
Dear Jennifer,

Although breastfeeding does provide a certain degree of protection from
many disease organisms, both through passive immunity from the mother and
active stimulation of the baby's own system, this would not be comparable
to that stimulated by the administration of an immunization.  Although
there are some on this list who would argue otherwise, I think that the
overwhelming bulk of evidence proves that the immunizations that we
routinely give our babies/children provide protection from several very
nasty and potentially fatal diseases, which have in past times, routinely
killed many children, most of whom were being breastfed.  Children who
are totally breastfed can get these diseases, although there seems to be
some evidence that the cases may be a little less severe in breastfed
children and they will  recover more quickly.  I think that a breastfed
child is always better of than one who is not, in any disease situation.
 Also, there is some evidence that breastfed children show a stronger
immune response when they are immunized than do children who are formula
fed.

Whether we need all of the immunizations that are now being pushed and
whether we will pay a price down the road somewhere for mass immunization
is still open to a lot of conjecture and not a lot of solid proof, IMHO.
I think that we probably are doing things to our immune systems that we
don't fully understand at this point.  However, we are also, in the
immediate time, saving a lot of lives.  This is all fodder for discussion
on another forum or in private.

It has been my impression, please correct me if I am wrong, that most or
all of our very pro-breastfeeding physicians on this list still support
routine immunization for breastfed babies.  Perhaps they could give you
another perspective on this.

Sharon Knorr, BSMT, LLLL, IBCLC
Lactation Consultant Services
Rochester, New York
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]