From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:48:24 -0500
Dear ICEA,

In the late 1960's/early 1970's I was a proud member of the board of our
local CEA group.  We accomplished so much with classes for parents.
Fathers got to  go  into delievery rooms, hospitals became  more family
centered, birth became a very empowering time for women.  We actively
coordinated with the local LLL groups. I personally went to nursing school
just so that I could qualify to teach childbirth  classes!

In the 30  years since I have seen steady and subtle changes in childbirth
classes and hospital deliveries.  Changes for the worse.  Birth  is no
longer a highlight of a woman's life, an empowering experience, it is "how
to  know exactly at what time I  can get  my epidural, have my pit and get
this over with."  Epidurals lead to complications with early breastfeeding,
 many moms don't last 6 weeks.

I am disappointed with the stand that ICEA has taken  with regards to
breastfeeding, in  violation of the WHO Code and ICEA's own  Breastfeeding
Policy Statement.

I've been   going around for several years saying it is time for the second
childbirth revolution.  We need classes that do not spout the party
"epidural/formula is OK"  lines.  We need information for parents that will
empower them to  give birth and breastfeed their babies.  I am so sad that
ICEA, one of the original pioneers in this area, is now an "institution",
bound by greed and complacency. That ICEA has lost its vigor and become
part of the system.  That ICEA can be bought.  Thirty years ago nothing
would have deterred us from our mission.

Sincerely, Patricia Young
RN, MSN, CPNP, IBCLC