Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 21:25:59 -0500

Hi and Happy New Year to all Lactnetters,

The pediatrician I work with in our hospital'sbreastfeeding clinic
encouraged me to post this (shesaid she's going to post it on the AAP
listserve and I don't really need to worry about HIPPA unless I get really
specific) so I'll be as vague as possible:

We saw a 3 month old mom and babe c/o babe refused mom's left breast 3 weeks
ago. Mom and hubby c/o of milk smelling bad in that breast. They both tasted
it and said the left breast milk tastes salty and the right breast milk
tastes sweet. Ped examined the breast, everything looks normal too her.

Now: we conferred with a few people and we're both a little worried. We are
referring to get a mammogram/ and or ultrasound and are worried those docs
will tell her immediately to wean. We are recommending that she start
pumping to stock pile milk in her fridge and freezer in case we run into
some issues with those folks. We will be following up to see what happens
and how we can advise her further as she gets evaluated.

So our thoughts are:

Maybe the milk in the left breast is salty b/c breast is in the process of
drying up, or maybe it's something more scary. We sure would appreciate
anyone's thoughts or experience of why this situation could be.

Thanks,

Barbara Holmes RD, IBCLC