From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:15:45 -0000
>Is it the breasts, or the milk? Since you are having mom eliminate dairy
>due to dad's dairy intolerance, I infer that you suspect it's something in
>the milk. Could be, however, one 'test' would be to use mom's finest out of
>a container rather than straight from the breast.
>
>That would allow you to look at the issues separately. I don't want to
>assume anything...so I'll ask... What kinds of soaps, moisturizers,
>preparations is mom possibly using on her body/breasts (or cleaning and/or
>fabric softeners on her clothes) that could cause the skin of her nipples
>to become 'caustic' to the baby?

Mom called this morning to say the tongue looks fine and her husband
thinks she imagined it in her fatigued hysteria.  (?!  -- I'm still
concerned about herpes exposure)

I don't think the rashes were caused by breastmilk itself because they
appeared on the second day, when she still had colostrum. My mind was
going down the same alley as yours until I realized that fact....

So then I thought about soaps. Mom said she doesn't put *anything* on her
breasts because she read about not doing so. Now, I forgot to ask about
laundry stuff, good point. I should also ask if baby's laundry is done
with family laundry (otherwise, he should be breaking out all over, eh?)

As for giving baby milk in a container: she's pumping and getting only a
small amount, but feeding it regularly to baby. We'll have to see as her
milk supply increases.

I appreciate the responses I've received so far, thank you. This case is
going to take a while to sort en total.

Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC
Santa Maria, CA