From:
Fleur Bickford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:44:06 -0500
I don't see it as infighting Linda, I see it as IBCLCs wanting to protect the credentials they have worked so hard to earn. I see it as IBCLCs wanting to be sure that the roles of the various breastfeeding support people are clearly understood both by the respective professions and by the public. Families DO get hurt when people "inflate their credentials" and so does our profession. If we all say "oh well there's nothing I can do so why worry about it", then there will be no one to fight for our profession and soon the IBCLC credential will be meaningless. We absolutely CAN make a difference, but we have to make out voices heard. As Jaye said, all breastfeeding supporters have a very important role to play but it is important that people are clear on what those roles are.

Warmly,
Fleur Bickford BSc., RN, IBCLC
www.nurturedchild.ca