From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 06:45:59 -0500
Rob, I was told that reglan was not for extended use in the mother, as it
was not good for mother or baby. ( this I knew already).  I was not sure
what extended use was/is.  Dr. Hale says not to be used more than 2-4 weeks.
However, the problem is that when we use more Reglan, even, if we could
convince someone to do it, I believe that her supply will plummet again.  I
don't know the reason for this.  Perhaps there is another problem, such as
low prolactin levels, or low thyroid (thyroid was just drawn on Wednesday).

Baby is now 5 weeks old. Mother has been giving it her best in terms of time
and perseverance. She has pumped, constantly, fed constantly, used SNS
constantly, and taken the herbs Fenugreek and Blessed THistle. She hates
Fenugreek, as it makes her and the baby "smell," she says, but she continues
to take it.

I just wonder if the lack of stimulation in the first 3 weeks is enough to
kill her ability to make adequate milk now, despite the last three weeks of
almost constant stimulation.

Sigh.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont, where autumn is in full color...
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Check these pages out...
http://together.net/~kbruce/proj.html
http://together.net/~kbruce/answers.htm