Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:43:05 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Nikki,

Re: the non-BF mom who began to have the nipple skin break-down problem as soon as milk leaked:

Could she possibly have a brand-new unwashed bra (with residual sizing), or a bra that had an insufficient rinse cycle, or a "rinse" product in the last rinse or dryer sheets that could be activated by the moisture and caused a reaction?? Or commercial or homemade breast pad, with contact dermatitis from it???

Handed down from my mother, proved helpful through my large family, and still used on every load of wash I do: An extra rinse with 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the wash machine tub gets rid of every last bit of laundry product, yet the residue of the vinegar is non-irritating, and smell goes away when line or machine dried. 

Worth a simple try before hunting for zebras.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC, Dayton, OH
(Who just watched a video link posted on LN this week of one of Diane W's talks on non-latching babies, and smiled as I heard myself described as someone "who has been a nurse since . . . God was a baby";-) Well, maybe not THAT long, but thanks for your lesson on RPS in the segment near the 9 minute mark, Diane;-) All I have lately added is to consider "Laid Back RPS" for the first several times if breast is pendulous (beyond "B"cup) or very full, to enlist gravity in keeping displaced areolar swelling "at bay" a few minutes longer for extended latching opportunity.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2