From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:16:33 -0500
Dear Mary,

Saw your post on lactnet.  Congratulations on your IBCLC certification!
Anyway, I remember doing a home-visit with a 40 year old, first time
mother whose parents were visiting. She has sore nipples and she told me
she felt uncomfortable breastfeeding IN HER OWN HOME (!) because her
father was present. Talk about issues that can affect breastfeeding.

After a few position suggestions, we talked about realistic expectations
and alternate accommodations for her parents.  She did go on to
breastfeed for over 2 years.

By the way, this woman was a highly educated engineer who later,
demonstrated how a breast pump works during a local news broadcast
during World Breastfeeding Week! She returned to work around 4 months
and pumped for at least a year.

A rough beginning, but as success story in my book!

Heidi S Roibal in Albuquerque, NM