From:
Ann Marie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:43:29 -0500
Janice,

Thanks for sharing.  Sad to say I am from Wisconsin (though I am in the
Northern half which is about 6 hours from Milwaukee).  I see this and what I
think is can't these people raise money for moms to get lactation services
if they run into problems with breastfeeding?  THAT is a real problem in the
upper half of the state.  Those low-income moms that attempt to breastfeed
cannot afford LC services if they run into trouble and Medical assistance
won't pay for it.

Therefore, LCs can't afford to run a business here because there is not
enough income from it.  I would say more than half of the moms of infants
fall in the low income range here.  I keep praying they don't run into
problems outside my experience level...  I can refer to our one IBCLC, but I
know many of these moms won't follow through as they truly cannot afford to
pay...

I have applied to sit the IBCLE exam this summer, but have no idea what to
do once I pass it (yes I am remaining positive).  I am looking at the very
really possibility of pursuing an RN just to increase my employability so I
can do what I really love (helping moms and babies to BF).  I am actually
enrolled in a CAN course this June so I can get on the RN waiting list at
our local technical college.  I really don't want to leave an area that
needs these services so badly...

Sorry for the thread highjack....

Warmly
Ann Marie Mackin, LLLL, CLC, WIC PC