Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
>
> From:    Pascoes in Dubai <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: copyright for written materials
>
> I have written many info handouts for my mum's group and their circulation in the community is increasing.
> Is there a simple way I can copyright them so they cannot be changed, edited, cut and pasted etc by other people and institutions?
> Many thanks,
> Meg Kingsley IBCLC
> Dubai UAE

I'm not a lawyer, so this is just what I've learned to do here in the USA. I believe it is correct. I don't know if copyright law in the UAE or elsewhere in the world is the same as in the USA. But here, all
you have to do is place a statement at the bottom of your handout, with either the copyright symbol, or the word "copyright," the year, your name, and "all rights reserved." On my handouts, I also add my own
comments about keeping up to date, since some of my handouts change from time to time, and it bothers me when I find people using older versions I myself no longer use. You could also spell out in detail that
it may not be altered in any way, although I believe the "all rights reserved" probably covers that. Jack Newman's handouts I believe say something to the effect that it is fine to distribute them without
permission, as long as they are not changed in any way.

Below is an example copied directly from one of my handouts. Sometime HTML messes up symbols, so in this email it might not look exactly as it does in my handout. Specifically, in case it doesn't come out
right, the first symbol, before the 2002, is the US copyright symbol, a small letter "c" inside a circle:

© 2002 Christina M. Smillie, MD. All rights reserved. Understanding in the field of breastfeeding medicine continues to improve with ongoing research. Therefore you should always ensure that you have the
latest version of this or any other handout. This handout was last updated May 2002.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2