From:
Holly McSpadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:12:21 -0400
The situation about the lady in line whose baby was nursed by someone else
in the  reminded me of a Hispanic mother who was a newly delivered patient in
our hospital. When the financial counselor arrived in her room to discuss her
Medicaid, she promptly handed her baby off to another lady in the room who
began to nurse the infant. I thought the financial counselor was going to fall
out! (It was tooo...funny:)

On another note I was attending a wedding where my sister was also a bride's
maid. Her baby was at home but I had mine with me. During the reception my
sister asked if she could "borrow" my baby for a minute because she feld a let
down coming and was wearing a satin gown! My son was more than happy to
oblige.

I have also breastfed someone else's child (at her request) after she had been
in some type of accident and was at the emergency room and the exclusively
breastfed infant was being cared for by a neighbor.

The reason I am a lactation consultant toay is because when my youngest
son was 3 months old and I returned to work (restaurant management) he
refused a bottle and cried for 8 hurs at the caregiver's home. My now very
dear friend (whom I did not know at the time but was referred to me by
someone else) cared for and nursed my son while I worked out a 2-week
notice. I never went back to restaurant management!

Does anyone else have any interesting stories that they would like to share?

Holly McSpadden, IBCLC