Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:25:56 EST
Marita asks,

<<On another side, a friend has a 26 month old who weighs over 50 lbs!  He
was fed expressed BM for over a year (never latched), and was always
heavy.  I wonder what difference there is in what is in the bottle vs the
act of bottle feeding or nursing itself.  I never saw her coax him to
finish a bottle as I see formula feeding moms do.  Mom is obese herself, so
is it just genetics, or would nursing him have helped?>>

I suspect this is unusual, but I do think that babies that drink out of
bottles tend to take a lot more than babies who are breastfeeding (whether it is
EBM or the other stuff).  I think it's in the mechanics of bottle feeding -- a
baby can't just "hang out" on the bottle and "nurse" they way he can at the
breast, so he ends up trying to meet his sucking needs -- and drinking more in
the process.  It's also one of the reasons many moms panic, thinking they can't
possibly be making enough for their babies (particularly newborns) who will
guzzle three or four ounces from a bottle, when all she can pump is 2 ounces.
Now part of that is in the pumping, but part of that is in the baby guzzling.
I think pacing bottle feeds helps even older babies slow down just a bit and
not take as much.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton, Illinois
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com