From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:30:19 EST
Barbara -- you are so right!!
You said: "Feeding choice honestly may never have been closely
examined before, and there may be hidden issues influencing their choices
that we cannot know."

I had a young mom just this week whom I visited 3 times in the hospital. Her
plan was to pump and give EBM via bottle, just like she had done with her
first, and supplement as needed with formula. When I casually mentioned that
if she decided she wanted to put her baby to breast we could help her, she
made such a face. Her signif other was there, so I could not even gently
probe to get some insight into her decision. I told her how to pump, where to
get a pump, how to increase her supply as the baby grew, and how to store her
milk properly. I also left my voicemail number in case she had any questions
later on.

What more can you do??? Be supportive, give good info and step back.

Kathy Rubin in NJ
IBCLC, RN, BC (Maternal/Infant), APN, C (Family Nurse Practitioner)
PhD student hopng to study lactation issues someday