Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:28:57 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I have been helping my sister with her lactating cow - and one of the support things we did with her was to give her vitamin B's for nutritional support (per orders of the Vet).  She (the cow) was having digestive issues.  Seeing how it helped her, makes me think that there's something to the use of B's in supporting general health and lactation.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of K. Jean Cotterman

Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 4:18 AM

Subject: Re: Brewer's Yeast

Michele asks about Brewer's yeast "dosage".

This is anecdotal from my personal use half a century ago. Brewer's yeast had been hyped in a 1951 book called "Let's Have Healthy Children" by Adelle Davis. The book came to my attention in 1954 during childbirth education classes. Wikipedia gives some interesting general information on the lady;-)

I had tried it several times before and had had digestive upset. I finally figured out that I was starting with a larger amount than my digestive system could process efficiently. At the start of my fourth pregnancy, in 1959, hoping to avoid the nausea I experienced with my third pregnancy, I started out very slowly, with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon in tomato juice or pineapple juice to mask the taste, several times a day. I cautiously began to increase the amount over the coming weeks, and believe I worked my way up to 2 tablespoons at a time, perhaps just once a day by then, with no digestive problems.

Not only did I avoid nausea, but was delighted to find that I didn't "crave" an afternoon nap when only one of the older 3 would still nap! On general principles I continued the same dose after that birth so I have no idea whether it was partly responsible for an adequate supply or not. Nipple pain and damage had been my nemesis with the first 3, causing me to give up at 5-10 days. (The rest of our story is in the vignette that precedes chapter 7 in the newest edition of the WABF!) Because of the patient phone counseling of a classmate on the LLL helpline and the totally different outcome in breastfeeding my fourth child, the direction of my entire life was changed. 

I would have no idea of how much to attribute to Brewer's Yeast itself at that time. My main caution would be to start with small amounts, observe for any GI symptoms, and increase slowly according to tolerance. I remember eventually being able to take 2 rounded, or maybe heaping Tbsp. at a time, probably once daily in juice or soup. Somewhere along the way, that ceased to be a part of my food choices. Maybe I will try it again to see if it has any effect on "senior moments";-)

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC

WIC Volunteer LC     Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2