From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 16:28:02 -0700
First of all, anonymous poster, hugs to your perceptions and the work you were able to do.  How sad this must make you feel.  And how horrible for the mom.

I think this is a failure too often seen, but fortunately not always so
tragically.  Parents, in wanting to insist there is nothing "wrong" with their
baby, find out that there is something fairly serious going on only when
things get to an advanced, if not irreversible state.  Or LCs, not wanting to
alienate parents, or overstep their boundaries of practice, are not strident
enough or powerful enough to make sure that the infant is seen despite
mom's wishes.

What a painful job this can sometimes be...how fortunate we are that far
more often we can make a positive difference, and experience so much joy from our profession.

Chanita, San Francisco
BSc,RN,IBCLC