From:
Bruce Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:03:35 EST
I agree that many children suck their thumbs not from unmet needs but from a
strong oral fixation.  My daughter, who will be four  in two weeks, is still
nursing and whenever she gets bored or tired will suck on her fingers, her
clothes, my clothes, or my hair.  A majority of these times she is being held
and cuddled by me, but just wants something in her mouth.  I just recently
started to curbing her public nursing, but she has been sucking on other things
since she was a few months old.  It just goes to show that children will find
the way that satisifies their needs the way they want satisified, not the way
that makes us look good!

Felicia Henry, AAHCC & LLLL