Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 21:19:26 -0500
This is the first time I have posted to lactnet. I am a RN and IBCLC at a
small rural hospital. I have a patient,who has given me permission to post
this. She is a 28 year old G2P2 who delivered vbac today. With her first
baby she tried breastfeeding without her milk coming in. She fed every 2-3
hours, pumped and then later after day four, used a supplemental system.
She states she had sore and cracked nipples, so I assume a latch and
position problem. She says she never had breast enlargement with pregnancy
or postpartum. Also when she weaned at 1 week plus 2 days, she never
experienced engorgement or fullness. She had a c-section first baby for
failure to progress under general because her epidural did not work. She is
in good health and no complications or bleeding heavy with her delivery.
She just today delivered vaginally. If frequent feedings, pumping with a
double pump, careful positioning and latch fail to bring her milk in what
would I suggest? Reglan possibly? She never told her OB prior, so prolactin
levels never were checked. She would like to breastfeed, but will not
become stressed out over this and will bottle feed if no success.
Thank you,
Terry Carson R.N., I.B.C.L.C.