From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:16:40 -0500
Jennifer wrote, in response to my post:

"Should following rule#1 keep us from asking ourselves how we ever get to
place where a baby needs to eat and we have no breastmilk (in the breast
or
expressed) available to feed her?"

Why do we have moms who don't have enough brmilk available?  sometimes
pumping is difficult for a variety of reasons (we've all dealt w/ this
issue). Sometimes we need to get baby fed ASAP and don't have 20 min. to
get mom pumping and get enough breastmilk to feed baby.  A baby with a
high bili or low dstx is going to be a poor breastfeeder.  They just
don't have the energy.  A baby in this situation needs nutrients, whether
from formula or breastmilk.  Yes, I would PREFER breastmilk.  Do I have a
hard time cracking open that bottle of formula?  You bet I do.  Would I
rather see the baby, who is rooming-in with mom, be stable and not sent 2
floors down to ICN?  Absolutely!  This is reality.  We have very little
time in the hospital and want babe stable and sent home with mom.

This is the reality of hospital breastfeeding practices.  Yes, I would
like things changed, but change comes slowly in this world.

Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding Counselor
Bala Cynwyd, PA