From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:11:45 -0400
Denise,

I have had terrible luck with trying to get baby that is born full term
with a terribly high palate to breastfeed exclusively well.  They usually
lost weight and I had to go to the use of a breast pump after every feeding
(to get mom's breast "milked" well)  and using an SNS for the pumped milk
during the breastfeeding (to increase intake).  The moms usually quit by 6
- 8 weeks.

HOWEVER - I have had great luck with preemies - they have even lowered
their palates in a few weeks of breastfeeding - I think the palate is
softer at that age/stage and they can actually "reshape".  OF COURSE I have
no data on this - just my judgement from evaluating sucks at various times,
weeks apart, as they grew and developed in NICU.

When I worked with the other babies, I didn't have access to nipple
shields, and always wondered if they might have helped...
(Don't come down on me - I tried everything and it didn't work, so now I
wonder if I could/should have tried that!)

Well, Good luck - just thought I'd give you some hope!

Jeanette Panchula, RN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA