From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:27:41 -0800
Susan said: "I've also had Spanish speaking patients mention that tongue-tie
particularly affected their older children's ability to make the Spanish
"rr" sound, which requires tongue-to-palate action, an interesting
observation, I thought.?"

YES - my Puerto Rican uncle always said the rr in a French way, (the back of
the tongue rises to the soft palate and the reverberation occurs there,
rather than the tip of the tongue coming to the hard palate right behind the
teeth) - and it wasn't until much later in life that I found out why!

When I returned to Puerto Rico as an IBCLC, I found it was much easier to
get the frenulum clipped - I just had to say "Those Americans  have research
that says it isn't necessary to clip the frenulum to avoid speech problems -
but we all know THEY only speak ENGLISH and WE need the tongue free to speak
Spanish!"  It worked like a charm <grin>!

Jeanette Panchula, BA-SW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

Vacaville, California, USA (and back to having troubles getting tongues
clipped!)