From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:37:43 +0200
Jen asks:
Would it ever happen that a formula-feeding mom would present herself or her
baby to the doctor with some problem and the doctor would straight away
say..."Well first thing you've got to do is induce lactation and quit that
bottlefeeding!"

I'm afraid the answer is generally no, even in those cases where the problem
was caused by artificial feeding, *except* perhaps in some parallel universe
designed by people who know about breastfeeding.

I sent a rant this week to the head of peds at our hospital, after being
asked to consult with a mother on the peds ward about her breastfeeding
practices.  The mother wanted involvement from post partum.  The child was
not hospitalized for anything feeding-related.  The advice she got from the
staff, especially the same pediatricians who do the newborn exams and with
whom I confer daily on matters pertaining to breastfeeding, was so totally
at odds with what we teach and practice on post partum that it shocked me.
Scheduling and limiting feeds was the biggest red flag.  Mother was feeding
on cue and staff were trying to get her not to.  I saw a need for getting
our messages in agreement, to put it nicely.  I know the head of peds pretty
well, but not well enough, because it never occurred to me that he would
take my rant and forward it to all the staff pediatricians (!).  He did
include a preface in his reply to me which was cc'd to all of them, saying
'yes, Rachel, you certainly never mince words, but I feel the issues you
raise are important and so I am forwarding this to the rest of the medical
staff'.  He was right about not mincing words, and there were several
sentences I wouldn't have included if I'd known he was going to circulate
it, but it's water under the bridge now.
I feared the worst when I got to work the next day.
Guess what?  I was approached ten minutes later by a med student who is
doing some summer clinical experience on post partum and peds and has gotten
interested in tongue tie as it affects breastfeeding.  He said he'd seen my
e-mail.  He came to me to ask for more literature and references because he
is going to do an inservice for the pediatricians as part of his stint with
us.  What a bonus!  Now I don't have to front this issue with them, because
he's doing it and they'll be more receptive than they ever would if I
presented the material.  Plus, there is a doc in the making who knows that
IBCLCs and midwives are knowledgeable sources of good research evidence.
Win win win.  So keep those rants coming, and consider sending them to
carefully chosen people in the right places.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway