From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:26:16 -0600
(This is a message to the Nurse-In participants, supporters and organizers, from Emily Gillette, the woman removed from the Delta plane for breastfeeding.
I thought it would boost spirits.
Its typed on her Blackberry, thus the typo's)
Janice Reynolds)

Posted with permission, on behalf of Emily Gillette:

everyone,

today was a beautiful day in albuquerque. the sun was out, the moms were out, the grandmas were out, a couple of uncles came out, a dad (my husband!!), and the babies were EVERYWHERE!!!

all in all, we had about 25 adults, and more than that in children. one woman wrangled her THREE boys!!! others brought their newbies, 4 week olds, 2 month olds, four month olds. there was a nursing 3 year old, a couple of nursing 2 year olds, and a slew of shirts, stickers, and small signs.

There was a sense of quiet. We small talked, we thanked each other, we cooed at each other's children, and sometimes we just sat and watched the children weaving through their mothers' legs and the reporters scribbling as they knelt over a nursing mother, recording her story.

it was awsome. i feel so lucky to have had the chance to participate in such a monumental event. i feel so lucky to have had an opportunity to show up and show my gratitude. i feel so lucky that you women organized this event. all of the women that showed up today have played crucial roles in a powerful event and without your comapassion and belief in yourselves, this never would have happened.

there were a large number of reporters, and wonderfully, they did not just clambor for my attention, but went around thoughtfully and sensitively asking questions of the participants about who they were and why they were there.

the breasts were out and doing their job and now the word is out and growing like a healthy infant. the hard work to protect breastfeeding began long before me, but how lucky i feel to have joined the fight.

My mother coordinated Durango, starting just yesterday morning. She and a couple of local moms pulled it together. They had over twenty five mothers there and LOTS of kids. My grandmother went (river's great grandmother), my great aunt, my father, and a few older women that heard of the nurse in through my parents. The local paper covered the story and took photos.

An amazing success and wonderful proof that grassroots organization WORKS!!!!
with good thoughts for all of you and hope for the future,

emily gillette