Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 11:16:09 -0400
Colleagues,

I am in the process of implementing the WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counselor program for the organization I work for as a LC. Part of this process included site visits, and getting myself familiar with the job tasks of the WIC staff. I sat in on various certifying appointments and so forth...and of course checked out the tools the employees utilize.

I see certifiers and RD's adding data to the software system and tracking infant growth using a WHO growth chart which is embedded into the WIC CIMS system as part of their software. Convenient? Sure.

Accurate? NO! They are using the old WHO growth charts!! I start asking around to other WIC workers, who work in other WIC clinics in and out of my area. ALL of them respond they are using the old growth charts.

Since when is it acceptable to utilize a flawed, inaccurate clinical tool? I know this is a large agency, and change takes time.

I offered to provide every WIC clinician the appropriate tools, and to do it less than 5 minutes. You can download them off of the internet! I would spend more time pasting their contact database for e-mail addresses into my e-mail than I would accessing the appropriate WHO growth charts!

Then we're left with how to document, ok, we can figure that out. But could we please start using the appropriate tool?

For those of you WIC staff in the states, what growth chart does your agency use? Is this nationwide? I hope not!

Wont you chime in and let us know? Does your WIC agency use the current WHO growth charts?

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com