From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:49:52 PST
Dany
The herpes can be type 1 or 2 - treatment or course of disease doesn't
really matter. Mom should cover the lesion or not nurse if it's too
close to nipple. Express that side til healed. There are meds she can
take to maybe shorten the length of the outbreak, eg acyclovir and
valacyclovir which you take by mouth and I think there is a cream too.
Good handwashing is a must. The younger the baby the more a concern the
infection is. Hope this helps.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, SE USA - where today is a beautiful, warm Mardi Gras
day but we're not downtown partying - those days are over guys.