From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2010 16:46:25 -0400
Can't speak to the first comment if not reference is cited, although the
word "proven" (rather than "supports") in conjunction with "scientific
studies always makes me wary. But here's some info in ref to the Dr. Brown
packaging "claim":

http://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/content/3/1/19

http://www.nutrientstudy.com/pressrelease.htm (also review Q&A and contact
vis-a-vis Simplesse spokesperson noted in Elita's Blacktating blogs on this
topic)
I don't care for the Dr. Brown marketing on their packaging or their web
site, but can say the Dr. Brown level 1 newborn (standard and wide-neck)
system has a flow rate that tested (via breast pump extraction) in a range
that appears to be more compatible with can wave-like tongue movements
during use and parents' feedback tends to reinforce those testing results
re: more likely to be associated with airway comfortable and less to result
in infant stress cues associated oral "threat" to airway due to too fast
flow (which occur with most of the allegedly "slow flow" nipples/bottle
systems).

Simplesse appears to be related to Dr. Brown's parent Handi-Craft - as does
nutrientstudy.com - but it could also be related but separate companies -
and in rereading Mr. Richardson's post, he seems fairly straightforward
about it. My guess would be that to keep Simplesse and the products it sells
Code-compliant and separate from the noncompliant one (for its marketing of
feeding bottle/teat system - NOT AIM), a different company with different
was formed. The "ethics" of such are not always clear cut... If they were,
we wouldn't need ethics committees or boards to review and opine on all
kinds of situations.

I've missed out on receiving a Simplesse (I'll live without it), so I can't
speak to its effectiveness, but I get the sense it is not supposed to "work"
the same way as other pumps. If so, it would feel different. There's a brief
demo vid and additional info:
http://www.simplisse.com/manual-breastfeeding-companion/

Re: pump effectiveness - I for one am getting tired of MOST/ALL the
companies with breast pumps who expect us all to promote their products
without giving us quantitative data re: pump effectiveness (for 1st time BF
vs. subsequent; different situations; etc) on some/all of their pumps.
 Supposed to be a moms' site, I find the info helpful at
http://www.breastpumpcomparisons.com/

I'd think there are a number of AWHONN members on Lactnet. I'm one and have
been for many years, although I've never been super involved at the org
level. Formula companies are definitely represented at exhibits and I
believe help sponsor the conference. (It has been several years since I
attended a conference.) My proposal to speak was accepted for this year's
conference (June 15). Ironically, I'm speaking about bottle-feeding with a
one-hour session entitled Drink or Drown: The Case for Evidence-based
Bottle-feeding.

Karen G

> Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:15:12 -0700
> From:    "Jaye Simpson, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Another good one...
>
> So we have the comment from one that says:
>
> "Scientific breasfeeding studies have proven that pain during lactation or
> milk expression can actually reduce the flow and nurtitional quality of
> breastmilk. Stress from pain or discomfort releases hormones that can
> inhibit milk flow as well as decrease the breastmilk's natural
> infection-fighting nutrients-nutrients that are vital to baby's health.
> Simply put, more comfortable breastmilk expression during lactation can
> promote good breast health and quality breastmilk for the baby."

> And there is this from Dr Brown that I saw first hand on one of their
> packages when I saw a couple with premie twins - we all LAUGHED - like
> seriously??  How can this be true?  Unless of course we are all just
> stupid.

> A first-of-its-kind university study
> to measure nutrient levels in breastmilk and formula during a typical
> 20-minute feeding determined that Dr. Brown's fully vented bottles help
> maintain levels of important nutrients like vitamins C, A & E.
>

> *       Helps maintain vitamins C, A & E:
> Patented internal vent system is proven to minimize oxidation of breastmilk
> and formula,
> to help maintain essential nutrients.
>

> Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:32:03 -0400
> From:    Jake Marcus <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Simplesse pump - concerns?
>
> Blacktating has an on-going series now on Simplesse and the very suspicio=
> us information concerning corporate affiliation: http://www.blacktating.c=
> om/2010/04/simplisse-update-are-simplisse-handi.html

ate:    Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:32:56 -0400
From:    Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: AWHONN Call for speakers

You will notice that AWHONN does not mention lactation consultants as
being included in their members! I have no idea if they get formula company
$$ for this conference but some of us should surely be speaking there!!!
This is from the Monday Morning Memo that comes from the Healthy Mothers,
Healthy Babies coalition each week.
Dawn Kersula in Vermont

4) CALL FOR SPEAKERS: 2011 AWHONN CONVENTION The Association of Women's
Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN) seeks volunteer presenters
for the Annual Convention to be held June 25-29, 2011 in Denver, Colorado.
Do you have something to say or share about the care of women and newborns?
Now=92s your chance! Applications are due August 23, 2010...
--

Karen Gromada
www.karengromada.com/