From:
Patti Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:41:42 -0400
>The nail was hit on the head when it was said that we fear lack of
>intellectual stimulation, not financial distress when choosing between
>staying home and going back to work.

I think there are plenty of opportunities for women at home to find
intellectual stimulation. But it lies with personal motivation to find it.
Particularly for women with computers and/or internet/email access, the
opportunities abound.

Besides the obvious of working at home like I do as a freelance writer,
there is distance education which I also plan to do this summer pursuing a
second B.S. in paralegal.  Beyond that, any woman can take any interest in
any topic and turn it into a challenge. I have done that most of my life.
For instance, I think some of the ongoing debates on the bulletin boards are
great places for intellectual stimulation. And perhaps, hosting interesting
chats on the web. Maybe that isn't enough stimulation. Again I would go for
working at home or continuing education.

As for wasting a degree. Well, I can't give that much credit. I do have a
B.S., but when I think of looking back on my life and what my regrets could
be, time spent utilizing an education is far more wasted than time spent
raising our children---our biggest investment in life, given a choice
between the two.

I have spent one year in nursing school and consider going back. But I just
cannot see taking that time away from our children when i can be a nurse
anyday when they are grown. Why do we have to have it all right now?

patti
(mother of three, nursing mother of 18-mo twins and aspiring LC in
WIsconsin)