From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 1995 14:35:23 -0900
Interesting to hear of all the various theories as to what one mom taking
the course with me called "the Happy Hour", which is usually several
hours actually. Since it usually occurs in the late afternoon or evening,
I have also heard it proposed as a function of increased stress level in
the family: the older kids come in from playing outside, dad comes home
from work, mom is trying to juggle kids and prepare supper and listen to
dad's day, etc. If this scenario is the culprit behind the syndrome (and
even if it *isn't*), then KA is of course correct that giving formula solves
nothing really, reduces mom's self-confidence *and* her milk supply, and
gives a false impression of successful outcome. I tell moms that when comfort
nursing doesn't seem to work, take baby for a walk or ride, or at least hold
him/her and walk around the house. Judy K. in Israel.
PS Curiously, all 3 of my kids were fine during this time period, but drove
me nuts during 9-11 am, so this is when I did my food shopping, even if it
was only a loaf of bread.