From:
Cindy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:20:48 -0500
I posted last spring about some problems we were having and thought you might like to hear the happy ending!

As a result of a student having difficulties coordinating infant feeding and class attendance on campus last spring, a working group was developed to address the problem. This working group consisted of 6-7 faculty representatives who support breastfeeding on campus from across disciplines including Nursing, Medicine, Anthropology, Arts and Sciences, Counseling.  We met a few times, did our homework, developed a statement of support and began action!

We started with the University president who fully supported us.  He provided us with direction as to formalization and acceptance of this statement by university governance.  We brought our statement to the University Senate (in May...their last meeting of the year!).  It was introduced by the president and approved unanimously by all members present.  It has been published in our Code for Student Life, and extends not only to students, but to faculty and staff as well.

Another outcome of this was a request to develop areas in buildings across campus for nursing mothers and others who need a clean, restful healthy environment to support their health (such as a place for diabetics to give injections other than the bathroom!).  We are also building a multimillion dollar hockey arena on campus and have been able to get in on the planning.  As a result, we will have 4 family restrooms with an adjoining   area for nursing mothers with comfortable chairs, couches, sink, outlet and changing table.

We are very happy with the outcome and the level of support we received.  We were preparing for a long haul and were pleasantly surprised!

I'll keep you posted on our next adventure!

Cindy Anderson, MS, WHNP, IBCLC
University of North Dakota