From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2019 10:19:06 +0300
Yes Pat, all of us in Israel will tell you that we are all fighting the same
battles.  The lactation problems do not change: too little/too much milk,
pain, engorgement, tongue tie, interference from a generation of grannies
who did not breastfeed; too many C-sections and epidurals, early return to
work, not enough quality time for lactation counselling in maternity wards
and health clinics.
We are still fighting against promotion of formula companies who advertise
at all the hospital conferences, the food charities who donate formula to
needy families but refused to support our idea of creating a breastfeeding
hot-line  - I had 70 qualified lactation counsellors prepared to volunteer
for that but no money to create the infrastructure. We are still battling
for national milk banks.
The bad old days of separating mothers and babies for at least 24 hours have
gone, many mothers are demanding zero-separation and many more mothers are
motivated to breastfeed with support from their partners.  But after 45
years here, training and working with counsellors, I would have expected
more progress.
Take courage and persevere for every drop of mother`s milk that a baby gets
is white gold.
Wendy Blumfield
Haifa