From:
JoAnn Barham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 1995 23:59:15 -0400
My question is about the use of inhalers while breastfeeding. My doctor has
prescribed a Ventolin inhaler to be used periodically for coughing, shortness
of breath, and other asthma-like symptoms. I've never had asthma before, but
had pneumonia almost two years ago and since then have had periodic trouble.
I had bronchitis or pneumonia (the x-rays weren't conclusive) again just last
month and the breathing problems flared up again. Antibiotics weren't
clearing up the infection and cough syrups weren't helping. I am allergic to
anything resembling codeine.

My son is 4 1/2 months old and weighs about 16 pounds. My hesitation is that
I don't want to have sleeping problems or any dangerous health problems for
myself or him! (I have two other small children. I need any sleep I can get!)
So far I have not used it, although there have been times I thought I needed
it. I have spoken with one LC and a friend who is an AAPL in LLL. They've
both encouraged me to try it, just to see how my son reacts. I would like to
know what to expect BEFORE I try it. And is there any other medication I
might try, other than an inhaler that might have less dramatic side effects?
Every time I think I need to use it, it's late in the evening or at bedtime.
I hesitate to use it then, for fear of sleeplessness.

(I might also add, I have spoken with my doctor and our pediatrician about my
hesitation. While they've been very understanding, they both feel I should
use it. I am also investigating what might be causing the breathing problems.
It might be a severe mold allergy, because the trouble started after we had
flooding problems in our house. My oldest son is having similar trouble.
We've had our vents cleaned, and are in the process of de-molding our house
as much as possible! Any suggestions about this would be welcomed, as well.)

Thank you so much for any information you might have.

Sincerely,
JoAnn Barham, LLL Leader in OKC and mother of 3 boys