From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:15:04 -0800
My son plays on his high school's soccer team, and they played a game last
night, followed by a tournament today. At last night's game, one of the boys
banged heads with another, and ended up with a bruised eye. It was cut up
last night, but swollen entirely shut by this morning. As he sat dejectedly
on the bench unable to play, bag of ice over his eye, I asked him if he
would be desperate enough to try something different-- cabbage leaves. I've
suggested it in the past for swollen ankles and such at soccer games, but
have been brushed off. This boy said yes, he'd try anything, so we got some
cabbage at a nearby grocery store. Didn't have a rolling pin, so we took a
cleat and beat the leaves inside the plastic grocery bag. Kind of got
crumbled up in the process, but it was ok. So he applied the broken leaves
to his eye during the first game, and guess what? By the end of that game,
the swelling had come down so much that his eye could half open. We
continued the application for a while after, and it came down even more, to
the point that his eye could open almost all the way. Mostly black and
purple coloring left.

I figured the cabbage would be helpful, but I didn't expect it to open the
eye in just an hour! Needless to say, the young man, coach, and team were
impressed. Chalk up another one for cabbage leaves!

~Lisa Marasco
Santa Maria, CA