From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 09:35:53 +0000
Michelle

There used to be quite an active group in Nairobi called BIG, the
Breastfeeding Information Group, originally started by Helen
Armstrong in the Eighties.  No idea how up to date this info is, but
the mom could try phoning?  The address I found by googling is
certainly a Nairobi address.

Name:	Breast Feeding Information Group, Nairobi
Address:	Westlands, Chiromo Road Opposite Consolata Primary and
Church P.O. Box: 59436 Nairobi
Phone Number 1:	254-020-3749899

This is a long shot, but maybe she could get some help from the
International Centre for AIDS Prevention (ICAP).  ICAP counsellors,
have excellent training about breastfeeding for the PMTCT programmes
they run in Africa.  There is an ICAP presence in Kenya, see
http://www.columbia-icap.org/wherewework/kenya/index.html   There is
also a huge UN presence - maybe she could contact UNICEF??

I spent my childhood in Kenya and my sister still lives there.  My
own impression from occasional visits is that although just about
every African mother breastfeeds (and your contact mom could probably
get a lot of help from her servant(s) if she has them), the hospital
practices and general info from the formal healthcare system about
breastfeeding is not that great and new mothers from overseas
struggle.   Her best bet would probably be to correspond with or
phone someone like you!

Pamela Morrison IBCLC (now living in Rustington, England)
Any suggestions for breastfeeding help (of any kind really) in
Nairobi? I have no further details to offer beyond concern about
supply with a 4-5 week old first baby.

Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle Branco