Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:13:58 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
       I know of a mother who at the age of 30 is a "profound" alcoholic.   I am not in direct contact with the mother.    I do know her.
     She has had 3 babies, the first was born with an oesphageal defect, the next died and the third baby has been in hospital for 6 weeks being treated for "withdrawal" symptoms, after birth.  The mom drank throughout her pregnancy and for the 6 weeks her baby was in hospital.  Husband has divorced her.   The Grandmother took the baby home on discharge and said that the baby just cried and cried.   I suggested, through her sister that she do "skin to skin" - the baby became quiet and slept.   Then the mother started to do "skin to skin" with the baby and sleeping with the baby.   The baby has started to latch onto her breast but she is not allowed to nurse as she is on "Antibooze" and various anti-depressants.   Apparently when the baby used to cry the mother could not cope and would go out drinking but she is not anymore.   "Skin to skin" has, well up to now, apparently calmed her down and she feels of use to her baby.   Said she was given an injection to take her milk away, in hospital.    Grandmother said she would send a list of the anti-depressants to me so I can check them out.   I find it amazing that after 6 weeks of separation this baby has looked for the breast and latched.   Does anyone have experience with this or comments to make? 

Barb Currie. IBCLC.
White River, Mpumalanga,
South Africa.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2