From:
"Jaye Simpson, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:48:07 -0700
Actually, I rarely see a baby who is doing really well anymore.  The babies
I see now are primarily those having a variety of feeding difficulties
ranging from simple to extremely complicated - thus my wife, Jo, talking
with moms who are stressed out and very worried about their babies weight
gain among other things.  I wish I could see a baby with nothing other than
simple latch and positioning needs...  I have found Jo on more than one
occasion at group or at our home reassuring a new mom that all will be OK -
and that she (mom) has the strength to hang in there while the mom and I
work together to solve the challenges she is facing.

In my 16 yrs of practice I have never once had a mom for whom a test weigh
caused distress when baby was gaining well (but perhaps had other issues).
If the baby was actually fine on weight and the intake at that feed was not
what one would expect, we talked quite a bit about what is normal - the fact
that feeds can in fact vary in amounts - not only from feeding to feeding
but from day to day.  We discuss cues and signs of what is normal with
breastfeeding and what is not.  They know what to look for and know when to
call if something changes - for the better or the worse.   And because I
follow-up, things are monitored until mom and I are both comfortable that
all is in fact going well.

It all goes back to knowing how to use the tools we have, and how to
interpret the information they give us.  It also speaks to the IBCLC needing
to know the wide range of normal and when there is a problem - and when
there is not.  We also need to remember to trust the mother.  Far too often
moms are not trusted to know their babies and are blown off.  I always
believe my moms when they tell me something doesn't feel right.  It may be
that what isn't right is a true issue with the baby or the feeding, and it
may be that society has filled her head with inaccurate information that is
now causing her to stress more than she needs to.  Either way:  She is
right.

Simply, we must be good enough to know how to use the tools we have (or who
we can go to to learn), and to know when there is or is not a problem and if
at all possible, how to fix it - or to know who can fix it.

Jaye

Jaye Simpson, IBCLC, CIIM
Breastfeeding Network
Sacramento, CA