Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:33:44 EST
I have a question, out of my health-care inexperience, for the folks who,
like Jan, Pat, etc, do sometimes use these.

Do you ever take a baby whom you have flagged for low weight gain, lack of
satisfied demeanor, etc, weigh him before and after, and find that he is
transferring TONS of milk?   Nobody's talked about this case -- everyone has
asked "what do you, or don't you, learn if the baby hasn't transferred much
in a particular feed?"    But weighing these babies seems to suggest that
sometimes they  have not transferred much, and other times they have.

Is that because the causes of poor gain/satisfaction WITH GOOD transfer --
whether they are poor processing problems, like deficiencies, or high
metabolic needs, like cardiac babies -- are easily diagnosed from other
symptoms?  Or because it just never happens -- in which case I do indeed
wonder why weight these kids?   Or has the discussion just not focused on
this?

If these are sometimes findings, then ruling them out might be another
potential reason to do such weights -- to show that the problem isn't in the
oroboobular complex at all, but down in the digestion somewhere...

Someone please set me straight on this - thanks!

Elisheva Urbas, NYC